Saturday, September 10, 2005

Working on a long, involved post. But I had to drop this in, since I missed it the other day: "Most of the red tape and problems have been at the state level. I have to say that the federal response has been focused on New Orleans with search and rescue operations which is going very, very well at this stage. But we've had a completely ineffectual state response and this is being borne by the local communities to help now. and I have asked the president to take this into consideration, consider that the state response is completely ineffectual and the full range of social and health care needs needs to be met." Yeah, I'll say. Hey, ain't you the gomer that got suckered out of thousands of dollars on a phony English upper-crust title? You sure change your mind a lot for a Faux-Viscount, or whatever you are. From the NYT:
"An Acadian crew also commandeered several tractor-trailer trucks to evacuate nearby Charity Hospital. The trucks brought the patients to the company's medical triage center at the Superdome. Dr. Ross Judice, chief medical officer for Mr. Zuschlag's operation, said he arrived at the Superdome at noon Tuesday with a team of about 20 medical volunteers. A federal disaster medical assistance team was already on the scene, tending to the most seriously injured, and a state medical officer was there, too. But few of these officials were communicating with each other, Dr. Judice said."
There was a medical triage center near the superdome? A fed medical assistance team at the dome as well? Hmm. What the fuck, people:
The governor of Louisiana was "blistering mad." It was the third night after Hurricane Katrina drowned New Orleans, and Gov. Kathleen Babineaux Blanco needed buses to rescue thousands of people from the fetid Superdome and convention center. But only a fraction of the 500 vehicles promised by federal authorities had arrived.Ms. Blanco burst into the state's emergency center in Baton Rouge. "Does anybody in this building know anything about buses?" she recalled crying out. They were an obvious linchpin for evacuating a city where nearly 100,000 people had no cars. Yet the federal, state and local officials who had failed to round up buses in advance were now in a frantic hunt. It would be two more days before they found enough to empty the shelters.
As for his plans, Mr. Brown, in an interview with The Associated Press, said: "I'm going to go home and walk my dog and hug my wife, and maybe get a good Mexican meal and a stiff margarita and a full night's sleep. And then I'm going to go right back to FEMA and continue to do all I can to help these victims."Nobody go in Brownie's office! He's cranky from his hangover and farting up a shitstorm! Time to polish that resume, Mike. So to speak. Plenty of blame to go around, right? Make sure the Red Cross gets their share -- but don't forget who gets the biggest slice of the pie.


Blogger Pawpaw said...

Aw, hell. The buses were just down the road from the Superdome. We've all seen the pictures.

9/12/2005 06:07:00 PM  
Blogger Suspect Device said...

Well, sure. But by the time anyone realized the feds weren't going to come through, it was too late. They should have been putting people on the NOLA buses -- and the amtrak -- on Sunday at the latest, preferably starting on Saturday. The reality of the situation seems to be that everyone was waiting for someone else to pick up the ball, and no one -- local, state, or federal -- did so.

I saw another blogger say (wish I could remember --2millionth?) say that he figured Nagin would come out of this pretty badly bruised and battered and wounded, Blanco damaged but salvageable, and the feds looking worst of all. I think that might be about right, but they all shared the same problem: stage fright.

9/12/2005 08:30:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home