Thursday, December 08, 2005

Gambit Weekly has offered to resume running Suspect Device on a regular schedule, but only half as often as before, every other week, in order to make way for the hip 'n' happening return of Bunny Matthews and Vic 'n' Nat'ly. So, after seven years, four NOLA press club awards, AAN nominations, national exposure (even in this week's Fortune, ironically), and not one increase in rates, I guess I'm increasingly irrelevant to Gambit's readership, or at least its publishers. Better to fill the space with more jokes about hot saws on da ersters and Jazz Fest lines likened to nazi death camps. I've agreed to go every other week until I can find another outlet; if I can't find another outlet, I'll shut down the local SD and concentrate on a national version. Any other publication, print or web, interested in running SD on a weekly basis, please contact me at greg@suspect-device[dot]com. EDIT: I want to make sure I'm being clear here: I don't object, per se, to being cut back to bi-weekly. I object to being cut back to make room for Bunny, and the implication that my strip has lost relevance for Gambit readers.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This New Orleans resident still thinks you're relevant...of course I'm still displaced so I guess it doesn't matter.

Now more than ever New Orleans needs someone willing to kick people in the balls when they screw up.

12/08/2005 10:49:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Given what must be a drastic circulation drop, isn't Gambit just trying to save money?

12/08/2005 11:25:00 AM  
Blogger Suspect Device said...

"...isn't Gambit just trying to save money?"

Maybe, but that's not how it was put to me. I would have lowered my fee if they had asked. Besides,they're adding a well-known, and well-liked NOLA cartoonist -- I'm sure he doesn't come cheap. I think this has more to do with the departure of (former) editor Michael Tisserand -- he was a strong supporter of my work, and now that he's gone, and the paper reborn, the publishers are going to put what they feel is both 2) their stamp and b) a very strong local stamp on the paper. Bunny is a local; I'm not. Besides, Idon't think the publishers have ever been really wild about the strip, and I guess I'm not too surprised.

12/08/2005 11:40:00 AM  
Blogger oyster said...

I'd say it's they're loss, Greg, but since I'm a Gambit reader, it's my loss as well.

This New Orleanian wishes you all the exposure (and renumeration) you deserve... bon chance.

12/08/2005 01:46:00 PM  
Blogger oyster said...

Meant to spell "remuneration" correctly in the above. That's the trouble when you're travelling at the outer limits of your vocabulary-- certain system failures become more likely.

Anyway, I hope someone pays you like the gubmint pays Halliburton. How's that?

12/08/2005 01:50:00 PM  
Blogger Schroeder said...

Oh, they have cartoons? I only read the Gambit for the shopping inserts.

12/08/2005 08:29:00 PM  
Blogger Ian McGibboney said...

Greg, I don't get the Gambit too often, so I go mainly on Snake Oil. And your post-Amendment One cartoon with the reaper and tons of text was probably my favorite cartoon of 2004. The nation needs you!

12/09/2005 06:20:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home