Monday, March 20, 2006

First Draft - 'Journalism Values'

Athenae on "Journalism Values":
... the other thing my Very Good Bosses did was to flat-out refuse to create some kind of nobility and mythos around the job itself. One used to scream at me, paraphrasing Bull Durham, "This is a very simple job. You go out, and ask questions, and Write. Down. Answers." The rest of it? Smoke-filled coffeehouse crap designed to make us feel special, imbued with some mysterious power. A monkey could do this job. A monkey would be smart enough not to want to, but he could. So "journalism values?" Give me a fucking break. Journalism values are the values of an upright and honest human being. Tell the truth. Don't take money or food or presents or sex from people in exchange for influence. Show people the world as it is. Ask the hard questions of those in power and use your access on behalf of those that don't have any. Where will people get those values if they don't get them from journalism school or an editor? They'll get them the same place I did. At my father's side on long car rides. In the church pew, with my mother. In the stories my grandmother tells. From friends on dark nights cruising back and forth at the beach, talking about what we wanted to do with our lives. On every page of every book I've ever loved. In listening to every teacher who ever taught me.

1 Comments:

Blogger Ian McGibboney said...

I thought Fox News just dictated them to you.

3/20/2006 08:27:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home