Monday, April 17, 2006

Yup.

This is my position, perfectly stated with more eloquence than I could master:
Yes, I worry about the possible miscarraige of justice against a wrongly convicted person. The evidence supporting a death penalty cannot be questionable — but there is nothing extenuating enough to explain or defend these types of crimes; even insanity will not do.
Was the murderer was abused as a child? I don’t care.
Was he a good boy in school? Had a good job and lots of friends? No prior record?
I don’t care.

I see no reason why society cannot take steps to rid itself of persons who are clear and present dangers to others. If that child's father had caught the murderer in the act, he would have been perfectly justified in shooting him dead. But since he was captured after he murdered a ten year old girl, society must resist the urge to execute him, as that would be barbaric. Why?

3 Comments:

Blogger oyster said...

OT: where can the online community view your most recent and most excellent comics printed in the Gambit?

4/18/2006 12:07:00 AM  
Anonymous Bob said...

Damn, I wish I lived in this utopia you've found where only the guilty are arrested, beaten, tortured, raped, tried, beaten, tortured, raped, sentenced, beaten, tortured, raped, and killed. Where can I get a bus ticket? It sounds peachy. Plus, it may be the only way I can get some action.

4/18/2006 07:13:00 AM  
Blogger Suspect Device said...

Oyster: why, you can see tham at suspect-device.com!

Bob: Uhm ... sure! Actually, I think the death penalty should be reserved for only the most egregious offenders and in cases where there is no doubt whatsoever of guilt. Having a half-dismembered body in a plastic tub in your closet and telling the cops, "I did it. She's in the closet", well, that pretty much punches your ticket as far as I'm concerned.

4/18/2006 07:43:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home