Friday, May 19, 2006

The Real Jazzfest: Anger and Sorrow

The Huffington Post quotes Steve Hochman from bloggingneworleans.com:
"No wind, no rain, no storm can stop Fi Yi Yi from coming home," he said, encased in the stunning green suit he'd sewn by hand, as he had for his kids as well, in the six months between Katrina and Mardi Gras (the Indians usually start work on each year's new suit the day after Mardi Gras; the ones he'd been working on were destroyed in the flood). As one of his associates chanted, 'From Mandingo out to Houston, from Mandingo out to Atlanta . . . the drums are calling all of the people to come home,' the Big Chief took up the cry: 'Calling all the people to come back home, New Orleans is where you belong. They took my people away from home. I'm still waiting on my mother, my sister, my brother to come back home.' He had to step back from the mic. He was crying. And then: "Shame on our representatives. Shame on our officials. Shame on all of them. They say they only want good people back. All people are good people. "Listen to the drums. "Listen to the drums. "I am not afraid."

1 Comments:

Blogger Mark said...

Damn, that's powerful. Thanks for that. I've sent it out to my Rave list. I trust the BlogNOLA list will find it on it's own, since they largely all read you.

5/19/2006 07:10:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home