Thursday, June 01, 2006

Iraqis say Marines went house to house killing Haditha residents. 'I wish I had died with them,' says a child who saw her family slain.

A Town Awoke to Slaughter - Los Angeles Times:
"Waleed Abdul Hameed, a 48-year-old worker in Al Anbar's religious affairs office, was among the first of the family members to be gunned down. His 9-year-old daughter, Eman, said she was still wearing her pajamas when the Marines arrived. Her 7-year-old brother, Abdul Rahman, said he hid his face with a blanket when his father was shot. A few minutes later, the boy saw his mother fall to the ground, dying. 'I saw her while she was crying,' he said. 'She fell down on the floor bleeding.' Speaking days ago in Haditha, months after the attacks, the boy broke into tears, covered his eyes with his hands, and began to mutter to himself. At his side, his elder sister began to speak again. Eman described how the two had waited for help, the bodies of their family members sprawled on the floor. 'We were scared,' she said. 'I tried to hide under the bed.' With shrapnel injuries to her legs, she lay still for two hours."
You know what? Fuck the troops. If this is what it's come down to, fuck 'em all. Pull them out, bring them home, but fuck any more support for killing. The whole war -- the WHOLE war, from presidents to secretaries to generals to troops on the ground -- is an abomination. No more good feeling, no more "support" for the war in any way, shape or form, no more fucking yellow ribbons. Bring the innocent back home and punish the guilty and end it all now. You know, I don't have anything against the people who have chosen to join the military, in general. I really don't. And, unlike the microcephalic right-wing columnists who will tell you that liberals want the US to lose and the terrorists to win ... that's so insulting and twisted that it's impossible to really answer. I want the war in Iraq to end. I'd like to see bin Laden's head on a stake, sure, but the truth is I don't give a fuck who "wins" in Iraq because there can be no winners in a war so entirely baseless and corrupt. The only way for America to "win" in Iraq is to leave before both Iraq and the US are torn apart by more murders, more lies, more fruitless battles. I do not care what Malkin or Limbaugh or O'Reilly or any more local critics might think of this position: it's the right one, and I decline to participate in some jingoist hallucination about supporting or troops and the job they're doing when they aren't doing much except killing and being killed. I really don't want any more US soldiers to die. I want them all home. I don't want any more Iraqis to die, either. I don't want any more children dead or maimed or living with the memory of seeing their fathers and mothers shot down in the street. But as long as we stay, it's all guaranteed. No one will ever win anything in Iraq. Don't call it turning my back on the troops; call it toughlove. Think of it as a concerned parent no longer supplying money and support to a child bent on self-desruction and crime. Just what does liberal "support" for the troops ential, anyway? USO shows with Al Franken? Yellow ribbons? Or just words designed to play into someone else's definition of "moderate"? I can't do it. I can't ignore it. I can't somehow divide my conscience into "war bad, but troops okay." My withdrawl of support -- whatever that is -- has nothing to do with wanting soldiers dead or wanting anyone to "lose" or "win." It has to do with no longer rationalizing pointless deaths. And the only thing "irrelevant" is your opinion, Glenn. There are no options left other than a fast slide into complete degredation and evil. It's all over. It has to be. This right-wing dream of empire and destruction and purity: it's done. You're done. You and your kind have come closer to breaking the soul of America than any revolutionary. Over. All of it.

2 Comments:

Anonymous spinn said...

Goddamnit, why don't more people read this? You should be piped into everyone's homes and metered like a utility.

6/01/2006 11:48:00 AM  
Anonymous Nitro said...

Dude, you may deplore the Tausendjähriges Reich if you like, but you should totally support that guy making the lampshades.

Regrettably, my "FUCK the troops" bumpersticker has not been as popular as I had hoped.

6/01/2006 11:50:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home