Monday, June 19, 2006

More fair-weather friends

Another state he won't be visiting. You know, the abortion trigger law makes me sick, too. But the fact is, the legislature in this extremely Catholic/conservtive state has been trying to push an abortion ban through since the Roemer administration, at least. That they were finally able to do so shouldn't surprise anyone with more than a sliver of knowledge about this state: it was inevitable. And like all of the unconstitutional provisions that Louisiana lawmakers from school boards on up insist on writing into law, from abortion notification laws to school prayer intitiatives to ID integration in the schools to increased speed limits to ludicrous open container laws, this one will be challenged in the courts and be swept away; that, too, is inevitable. And Atrios (and Kos) are correct in that Louisiana's legislature and Governor have better things to do. I suspect that Blanco signed this ridiculous bill without a peep as a measure of political payoff for some of the surprising gains she was able to push through this session. Still: Lousiana is dying on the table, and these assholes are obsessed with sex and ghost stories, as per usual. What disgusts me more than even the venality of our leadership, though, is how quickly the lefty-liberal rabble (see the comments on both the atrios entry and Kos's) have decided that THIS is the straw that will ensure they willl (sniff) NEVER visit Louisiana! RIGHTEOUS, Bro! Man, your commenters sure have a lot of bile to disgorge:
I've heard way too many horror stories about Louisiana to even consider going there. BlakNo1 | 06.19.06 - 9:54 am | # ____________ Well I saw New Orleans before it got wiped out, so I guess there's no reason to go back now. Silence Iris, Lurker | 06.19.06 - 10:05 am | # ____________ You know, I keep seeing those "Lousiana: Come visit us because we desperately need your tourism dollars" commercials, and I was really starting to think, "Go, NO, you're going to get back up on your feet..." And then they do this. No state that's going to use my tourism dollars to rape (if you'll excuse the expression) women's rights instead of get their citizens back to normal life post-disaster is getting a dime from me. Yes, maybe I am just a bitch. When I have a penis and therefore have no personal stake in the issue, maybe I'll be a little more forgiving. Maybe. ____________ This one sure did let out a lot of steam from the 'let's rally to save NO' feeling I think everyone in the country carried this year... Perhaps they can make up cancelled conventions and hotel rooms with right-to-life evangelical congresses, maybe once or twice a year. I was even considering migrating there - but not on your life will I consider sending a dime, visiting for a day, or moving there with this odious law on the books. My heart aches for all the pain this would cause the unwanted children, the terrified teen mothers-to-be and the victims of rapists. I'm assuming that there will be an injunction or some immediate appeal when this goes into effect? "What's in the name of lord, that I should fear; To bring my grievance to the public ear?" - The Crisis, January 13, 1777 by TPaine on Mon Jun 19, 2006 at 01:13:14 PM PDT
As of this writing, one person on the Eschaton thread and a couple on the Kos thread have voiced objections to this new "boycott." You know what I think? I think it's horseshit. I think that our compassionate progressive liberal brethren are tired of hearing our troubles, and by God if this didn't just give them a solid-gold gift-wrapped excuse to wash their hands of us. They WERE all for helping us get that federal help and rebuilding the city and caring very deeply for our poor but NOW -- well, now that we've gone and done something STUPID they can't in good conscience spend any more imaginary money or potential vacation time here. On our own, again. So, I can see that this is an example of the kind of dangerous political theater that Louisiana's elected officials are so fond of -- a sop to the right-thinking folks back home, an election-year move toward values supported by most of their constituents, even though the moves will likely be found unconstitutional and may result in the loss of face, influence, and future business from the rest of the country. That, I expected. But I didn't expect the liberal left to so cynically abandon us so quickly. All it took was one law, a trigger law not yet in force at that, for the facade to snap and waves of righteous relief at no longer having to associate with the needy lowlives come rushing over the atriots like a cool summer rain. Fuck you clowns. Oh, and Duncan? Markos? Don't think for a second that I will even consider donating time or money to any of the candidates for whom you solicit. My money needs to stay here, to make up for the dozens of dollars you no doubt would have spent, and I will continue to remind my circle of readers that however progressive or positive or needy any candidate in another state might be, we do indeed have more important things to attend to here at home. Sinn Fein.

12 Comments:

Blogger Michael said...

Glad you posted this, and I agree with you re: fair weather friends...but it's still a horseshit "law" regardless of how symbolic it is in light of federal law taking precedence.

Of course, it's also another fine example of how liberal accomodation over the years allowed so-called right-to-lifers to define the issue. No, no one celebrates abortion, but allowing the 'nuts to define life as "beginning at conception" plays right into their grubby little fingers.

Oyster, aka Your Right Hand Thief, posted in the past about nature being the most prolific abortionist--why aren't the anti-abortionists up in arms about THAT if life "begins at conception." Not once have I ever seen a rally, prayer vigil or any sort of action devoted to remembering "lost souls" resulting from nature aborting a huge number--if I remember right, Oyster's post cited studies showing some seventy five percent--of fertilized eggs.

Yeah, I realize that might fly right over the mouth-breathers/grass eaters, but between that and presumably a belief in womens' rights re: personal health, that's gotta count for something, right?

As for your real point, though--the back-stabbing left--well, I don't know what to do/say...but then again, I'm just a humble blogger.

6/19/2006 03:52:00 PM  
Blogger Pondering American said...

OOHH so glad you posted this. I am a pretty big conservative and supported the Governor signing this law. However , I linked to you and gave some comments on your views toward Kos, atrios and the other comments on my blog here.
As I said there Louisiana is being used like pawns on both sides. My liberal and conservative friends are tired of it.

6/19/2006 06:46:00 PM  
Blogger Pondering American said...

OOHH so glad you posted this. I am a pretty big conservative and supported the Governor signing this law. However , I linked to you and gave some comments on your views toward Kos, atrios and the other comments on my blog here.
http://theponderingamerican.blogspot.com/2006/06/louisiana-anti-abortion-legislation.html
As I said there, Louisiana is being used like pawns on both sides. My liberal and conservative friends are tired of it.

6/19/2006 06:47:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

you said it...if they don't see this as a reason to come here and support us, then it is just nothing more than a sigh of relief over having cleansed their consciences of our problematic existence.

6/19/2006 08:07:00 PM  
Blogger Suspect Device said...

Oh, absolutely it's a hoseshit law. I think even with personal feelings about abortion aside, ay ban without exception for the life pr health of the mother is punative and draconian. It wasn't my intention to get much into the law at all; that's a different post.

Remember when all of this started, back in Buddy's time? Beck then, they were debating wether their abortion bn should include an exception for rape or incest -- and that's when Carl Gunter made his immortal pronouncement that "(Inbreeding) is how you get champion racehorses -- maybe we could get us a super-sharp kid!"

That was in 1991. Anyone who is the least bit surprised that these morons shat out such a hateful, arrogant and idiotic statute just hasn't been paying attention. They've been flining poo at the people of Louisiana for years; this one just stuck.

6/20/2006 03:35:00 AM  
Blogger Suspect Device said...

Typos can ruin a child's self esteem. Please give generously to the Mavis Beacon Typo Foundation.

6/20/2006 03:37:00 AM  
Anonymous spinn said...

If it takes this for liberals to decide that Louisiana politics was stupid, then they just haven't been paying attention.

Fun trivia: Duncan and I grew up in Philadelphia and frequented the same early chat systems in the late 80's.

6/20/2006 06:55:00 AM  
Anonymous Sophmom said...

I have to hope that those few voices from the left who would wash their hands of Louisiana and/or Louisianans over this ridiculous law are a small, if noisy and obviously underinformed, minority.

I've watched from afar (GA) with only a small stake in the outcome (a son at Loyola), and it has occurred to me that this law was some kind of effort to make an independent conservative (Catholic) statement wholly apart from the Bush administration.

I also wonder whether the device built into the law was an effort to circumvent a challenge, since it (as I understand) wouldn't take effect until cuch time as (if) Roe v. Wade is overturned. If it's not in effect, then can it be challenged? If it's not challened until Roe v. Wade is overturned, then under what basis could it be challened?

Interesting post.

6/20/2006 07:29:00 AM  
Anonymous Bob said...

You know, the liberals and lefties who see this and feel strongly enough to change how they live their lives, maybe instead of boycotting the states: They should move there. Wouldn't that be great? In a year or two they could build up a voter base to start to have an effect. And, you know, they'd actually show a little commitment to their cause. Instead of just deciding not to go somewhere, which is a pretty damn tiny financial blip, especially considering how little of that money would stay in the community anyway.

6/20/2006 08:28:00 AM  
Blogger jonah said...

People are so gullible.

This is just a further example of the ridiculousness inherent in wedge games. It distracts from the real issues at hand. It's a bullshit law that will never go into effect, unless of course the Supremes overturn Roe v. Wade and in that case the whole issue is fucked.

This and the gay marriage constitutional amendment are the same thing. It's all smoke and mirrors. We must be able to discern between reality and political fiction.

6/21/2006 08:44:00 AM  
Blogger Mr. Clio said...

And how many of those libs live in states that don't let gay people get married. Or live in a country that invades oil-rich nations on false pretense. Or drive CO2 spewing cars.

Are they so pure they can't set foot in Louisiana? Gosh I wish I was as smart and pure as they are.

6/23/2006 01:27:00 PM  
Blogger Mr. Clio said...

By the way, I'm not a registered Democrat. Democrats are generally too conservative for my tastes, so my previous comment is not that of some GOP dude.

6/23/2006 01:28:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home